Tuesday, May 19, 2009

So Close...

I recently had my students complete a large project.  It had many parts, all revolving around a list of books, from which they had to choose one and read it.  Then, they had to do a list of different activities.  They culmination was a book report, in which they were supposed to give me a short summary of the book, and then spend the rest of their time telling me about why they liked the book, or why they didn’t like the book.

Generally, grading 6th grade essays are an exercise in frustration, since they don’t really write very well yet, for the most part.  They haven’t gotten to the point where they have an essay every other week or so, like they start to do in 7th and 8th, and up until now, almost all of their writing is focused around narrative writing.  Getting them to write a non-fiction work is like pulling teeth… teeth that aren’t ready to be pulled!

 

For the most part, I work throughout the year on sneaking in the expository writing, by having them respond to quotes or writing prompts on a daily basis as bellwork, instead of saying, “Okay, students, today you’re going to be writing an essay!”  Avoiding the word helps to avoid the negative attitudes that go hand-in-hand with writing essays… at least until they get wise to my tricks, which generally lasts me until well after Christmas. 

Many of the students turn in something that looks gorgeous, since it’s required that their essay is typed, size 12 font, and double-spaced.  I love getting a pristine stack of essays from the children; looking for the ones who put it in a pretty little binder thing, or which kid used a pretty font or fun paper.  

Then I start to dive into their words, and the prettiness goes away. 

Some gems I have come across in this set:

 

  • “the baby sister likes to use the bathroom in her dipper.”  - I can only assume she means diaper.  Yet, I wonder what caused the student to come to the conclusion that the baby likes going to the bathroom in her ‘dipper.’ I didn’t think babies had much choice, myself.
  • “My opinion of the book is that the book is a good book and keeps your mind wanting more and more.” – So generic.  They didn’t even mention the characters once.
  • “She goes to the wedding and instead of saying the valves and stuff you sing everything.”  - Valves of your heart?  I guess marriage is a joining of the heart.  Sort of.
  • “Billy begs his parents for puppies, but they can’t afford it because this was during the great expression.”  - I wonder what they were expressing?  Discontent, surely, since it was set during the Great Depression, but they didn’t specify.
  • “A Third is a child who is a third child in a family and third children aren’t allowed so to be a Third (the third child born in a family) is dangerous.” – I think that they just liked the word “third.”

 

Thank goodness there’s not that much school left this year!  I am sure that I can’t survive one more essay.

 But the thought that gets me the most is that the kids are writing astronomically better than when they arrived in 6th at the beginning of the year.  So next year, I’ll start all over.

 Sometimes I am so excited about that thought.  Sometimes, not so much.

 Oh, well.  I am glad I’m still going to be with 6th grade next year.  As terribly as they write and as often as they cry, I do love them the best.

Now, if I can just survive the last half of the last 9 weeks, we’ll be getting somewhere.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like that last kid read "Ender's Game," one of my favorites. Sounds like he/she actually read it, too, or at least the Sparknotes :)

Great idea about having them describe what they like or don't like!

Anonymous said...

Lol! I will never forget as a kid when I wrote this story about how my brother spilled his cologne. I went on and on about my brother's cologne. Well, when I handed in the story my teacher burst out laughing and I had no idea why?? Once I got older I saw the humor in the situation since I had spelled cologne: "colon". hahahahaha!

Laura said...

Thanks for entering the Heart Cries Giveaway! The drawing may be over, but you can still hop on over to www.mythirtyone.com/carney to join in the Heart Cries Online Party for some shopping!

Sissy said...

Hello! Thanks for wanting to read my novel. I can use the feedback, but I need your email address so that I can send you an invitation. Send it to me at sissyreads@gmail.com

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

oh my, those "gems" are too funny!! i admire you...teaching language arts is incredibly hard. grading essays...not fun. love the header of your blog, btw!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,

The cast on IS a little tricky, but you can do it. I would be glad to give you any help you need. It is well worth the effort.

Hugs,
Dee