Thursday, February 26, 2009

Conversational Snippets

I spend a good deal of time listening to the children as they talk, either to me or amongst themselves.  I learn all sorts of things this way.  

Sometimes I learn what's in right now (have you ever heard of You*Tube, Ms. Language Arts Lady?  It's really fun!)

Sometimes I learn how much they're understanding the current lesson.  (Or not.  Did you know that setting was not the place/time where something happened, like I thought, but why someone did something?  i.e., the setting is why the boy hit his sister.  Yeah, apparently we need to do that lesson over again.)

Sometimes I hear things that simply hilarious, insane, or silly.  Here are some examples of recent conversational snippets. 

"Ms. Language Arts Lady?  May I have a band-aid?"
"Are you bleeding?"
"No."
"Then why do you need a band-aid?"
"I was bleeding.
"But you're not actually bleeding now."
"No."
"So, again, why do you need a band-aid?"
A blank stare is my answer.
"They're in the cabinet.  Top shelf."

"Do I need to turn this in?"  (asking about the classwork that I just collected from every other student in the room.)
"Well, no, you don't have to, but if you would like to get credit for it, then yes.  I can't grade it if you don't give it to me."
"So does that mean you want it?"

"Do I need to put my name on this paper?"
"No, you don't.  Only if you want me to know it was your paper, so I can give you a grade for it."
"Okay." (Then proceeds to turn it in without putting their name on it.  I give it back).

"Wait, Ms. Language Arts Lady!  You can't move on!  I haven't finished copying the notes!"
"Did you start copying the notes?  Because there's nothing on your desk."
"No!  I didn't, because I can't find my notebook!!" (Frantic digging around in his backpack ensues. )  "Someone stole it!  Someone stole my notebook!"
"Now, Scattered, I'm sure no one stole your notebook!  Who would want it?  They all have their own notebooks!"
"Well, it was on my desk and now it's gone!!!!"  (Seriously freaking out now.)
"Hey, Scattered?  Is that it, under your desk?"
He freezes, and doesn't move for 10 seconds (not sure why...).  Then he slowly leans over and looks.  "Yes, that's it!!"
*sigh*

(Overheard, two students talking)
"I got lunch detention today."
"Oh, really?  Who gave it to you?"
"Ms. Language Arts Lady.  She said I was talking during the announcements, but I wasn't."
"That sucks!  So are you going to go?"
(I join the conversation)
"Yes, he's going to go, if he doesn't want to receive a stricter consequence.  Oh, and, for the record, you were talking through the announcements.  Again."
(Both children looked quite startled, not realizing I was listening.)
"I wasn't going to not show up!" (asserts the child in trouble)
"Good to know."


 I honestly think that these little bits of their thoughts and feelings, while sometimes driving me completely insane, are what keeps me going back every day.  You just never know what will come out of their mouths next.

6th graders do say the craziest things!

1 comment:

karie said...

I was surfing the internet and came across your blog. I am in my fourth year of teaching too. I teach middle school (grades 6-8) orchestra. I can completely relate to a lot of the things you are writing about here! I do agree...those little conversation snippets can sometimes be very entertaining, that is, later when you are at home thinking back on your day (of course the moment it happened it was not funny).